In addition to similar drink answer boxes that have begun appearing in search results, Bing has also begun doing something similar for some more simplistic recipes. They don’t seem restricted to just one source, as we have seen results from both FoodNetwork and WikiHow.com.
Here is an example for “shrimp cocktail recipe”.
As you can see in the “Steps” tab, the steps were longer than the space given, so it leads the searcher to FoodNetwork.com for the rest of the steps to complete the recipe.
Here is Google’s version for the same recipe search. It isn’t quite as detailed as the one Bing highlighted in their search results.
However, some of the examples from Wikihow don’t exactly translate into a better search experience, because it lacks an image and it also displays image coding as text in the answer box. I was pretty surprised to see Wikihow used as one of the sources, as people often consider it to be extremely low quality as it is essentially a content farm. It could have been selected since it also has a video on the result page, and it also shows the number of page views.
Here is another French Toast recipe, and one could easily argue it is the more successful answer box result, as it also includes reviews right in the answer box, along with specific nutrition information.
Bing definitely seems to be ramping up their search results lately with additional answer boxes and knowledge graphs, bringing it closer to Google in how they present the search results.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Analyzing “How Google Search Works” Changes from Google - July 8, 2020
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019