Facebook is planning to offer a new advertising feature for advertisers that allows them to target users talking about the Super Bowl in near real time during the lead up to the Super Bowl and during the game itself.
Facebook is tracking those users who talk about or post about the Super Bowl on Facebook, as well as those who did last year. Considering more than 50 million people were posting are commenting about the Super Bowl last year, it is a huge targeted audience for advertisers to reach.
The people that will be targeted not only include those who are talking specifically about the football aspect of the Super Bowl, but also those who are engaging with other things related to the Super Bowl, such as sharing ads or attending a Super Bowl party.
Advertisers will be of the target this audience in near real-time meaning that advertisers can micromanage and adjust their ads leading up to the Super Bowl and during the Super Bowl itself. The ad targeting itself will be almost real-time as well. According to AdAge, while normally it takes about a day for users to be put into specific ad targeting groups, ”for the Super Bowl ad-targeting group — which Facebook calls the “Big Game” targeting segment — that person would be added within a couple minutes of posting.”
This also means that if there’s any significant event that happened during the Super Bowl, advertisers can jump on it immediately. A great example of this would be during the Super Bowl blackout with Oreos Dunk in the Dark as they shared that went viral immediately. If that same thing was to happen this year, the advertiser could promote it immediately, and those few comments from the blackout could see a blackout related ad an advertiser quickly again.
With many of the big brands sitting out from this year Super Bowl ads, Facebook is hoping that some of them will put some of that saved ad spend into Facebook ads on the big day.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018