Featured snippets have been a staple in the English search results for quite some time. But now they seem to have been rolled out across additional languages as well.
Gary Illyes from Google confirmed that previously featured snippets were available in English in the US and ten other locales.
@dr_pete unless my memory fools me, it's US and 10 additional locale
— Gary Illyes (@methode) March 5, 2016
He then confirmed that locales can refer to either language or country.
@methode Can you clarify if "locales" = countries or languages?
— Dr. Pete Meyers (@dr_pete) March 5, 2016
For example, we have seen plenty of previous examples from multiple English language countries in clouding Canada and the UK. But featured snippets in many other languages seems to be new.
They are also showing up for both mobile and desktop queries.
Not all languages seem to be included this time though. While we have seen examples in Russian, Spanish and Portuguese, I couldn’t seem to trigger a featured snippet in French. I am sure we will hear about other languages as people begin testing.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google’s Mobile Page Speed Update: Everything SEOs Need to Know - January 18, 2018
- Bing Adds Appointment Booking to Local Panel in Search Results - January 17, 2018
- Google Adds “Best Answer” to the Search Results for Q&A Page Results - January 15, 2018
- How to Check Your Google Search Console Account for Beta Access - January 12, 2018
- New Google Featured Snippet Style Includes Thumbnails to Additional Searches - January 11, 2018