If you follow sports, you are probably used to Google showing you the score if you do a search for “<team name> score” such as “Canucks score”. But instead of needing to be reloaded to get the updated score, Google is now updating those scores live in the results without the need to reload, in almost real time.
If the score is live, there is a green line that moves back and forth underneath the game time, along with the relevant information about the time in the game also in green, showing that it is being refreshed.
Watching this in action during the Vancouver Canucks game on Saturday night, the updates seem to be about 30 seconds delayed, refreshing every 30 seconds or so. So if a team scores a goal, it shows up about 30 seconds later via this new real time updating feature.
Here is another example, and you can see how the green bar is in a different spot – it moves underneath that entire time and period section:
The live updates for the score and time also display when you are looking at the games view to show all recent, current and upcoming games too. Again, note that green moving bar.
So if you are unable to watch a sports game for any reason, instead of refreshing the sports scores, or going to another site for “live” updates, try the Google search results first.
This could take potential traffic away from some sites that cater to live sports scores, but many people tend to be loyal to those sports sites and I can’t see them changing. But for those that just follow a single team and want quick updates, this is a great feature.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018
- Google Testing “Relevant History” Section in Mobile Search Results - August 31, 2018
- Google Converts PDFs, DOCs, XLS etc into HTML for Indexing - August 30, 2018
- Why Google Shows Featured Snippets With Images from Another Site - August 29, 2018