Google is testing a new carousel style feature to local packs for resorts and hotels. In addition to the usual information, it has added an additional carousel before the listings.
Dr. Pete Meyers spotted the test. Here is what it looks like:
As you can see in the screenshot, there are new buttons in a carousel for “Top Choices”, “Guest Favorites”, “Budget Options” and more in the carousel that are not shown in the screenshot.
It isn’t clear if these are paid options or if they are organic. But usually, Google features both organic and paid AdWords listings in their advanced hotel search features.
This does seem to be a limited test, as I was unable to replicate this on desktop or mobile. But it does mean better exposure for those listed, although for some of them, such as “Top Choices”, there is no clear path for a hotel being listed.
Google has often tested various features in their hotel search, so this isn’t unusual for Google to be testing this, especially as Google favors carousels, particularly on mobile.
Google's testing fancy new filters in hotel/resort local packs… pic.twitter.com/7ZZtH4ez6Y
— Dr. Pete Meyers (@dr_pete) June 23, 2018
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- 2022 Update for Google Quality Rater Guidelines – Big YMYL Updates - August 1, 2022
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines: The Low Quality 2021 Update - October 19, 2021
- Rethinking Affiliate Sites With Google’s Product Review Update - April 23, 2021
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020