Google is testing a new autosuggest in the mobile search results, this time highlighting specific news that Google sees as trending when the search is done.
Here is what it looks like, when you start searching for something trending:
When you click on the trending in the news link, it takes you to a regular search results page for the particular query.
So it seems to be identifying searches that are actively being searched with higher frequency than normal and showing those trending in the news autosuggests.
It isn’t just targeting searches that have rich lists added at the top. Here is another example:
And the results page:
Google has tested trending news in search before, but this version is much different, in that instead of highlighting random trending news, it is for news specifically related to the search query being typed in.
I was seeing this on iOS in both Chrome and Safari.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Adds Reporting Flag to Local “Check the Facts” Feature - May 23, 2017
- Google Tests Blue Versus Black Sitelinks in Mobile Search - May 23, 2017
- Google Adds “On This Page” Above Internal Section Sitelinks - May 19, 2017
- Google Adds Expandable AdWords Ads With Carousels on Mobile - May 18, 2017
- Google Continues Featured Snippets Without Second Organic Listing - May 17, 2017