Google is testing a new autosuggest in the mobile search results, this time highlighting specific news that Google sees as trending when the search is done.
Here is what it looks like, when you start searching for something trending:
When you click on the trending in the news link, it takes you to a regular search results page for the particular query.
So it seems to be identifying searches that are actively being searched with higher frequency than normal and showing those trending in the news autosuggests.
It isn’t just targeting searches that have rich lists added at the top. Here is another example:
And the results page:
Google has tested trending news in search before, but this version is much different, in that instead of highlighting random trending news, it is for news specifically related to the search query being typed in.
I was seeing this on iOS in both Chrome and Safari.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Switches All AdWords Ad Tags to Outline Style in Search Results - February 23, 2017
- Google Showing AMP Carousels for Local Review Sites - February 22, 2017
- Google AMP Recipe Carousels Live in Search Results - February 21, 2017
- Bing Ads Begins Showing Product Ads Carousels in Search Results - February 21, 2017
- Google Showing Animated GIFs in Search Results via Google Posts - February 17, 2017