Google is testing a new autosuggest in the mobile search results, this time highlighting specific news that Google sees as trending when the search is done.
Here is what it looks like, when you start searching for something trending:
When you click on the trending in the news link, it takes you to a regular search results page for the particular query.
So it seems to be identifying searches that are actively being searched with higher frequency than normal and showing those trending in the news autosuggests.
It isn’t just targeting searches that have rich lists added at the top. Here is another example:
And the results page:
Google has tested trending news in search before, but this version is much different, in that instead of highlighting random trending news, it is for news specifically related to the search query being typed in.
I was seeing this on iOS in both Chrome and Safari.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- How Google Determines Which Ads & Search Features to Show on Search Results Page - October 17, 2017
- Removing Low Quality Pages Won’t Result in Sitewide Google Rankings Boost - October 13, 2017
- Google: Dynamics of Top Three Ranking Factors & Link Effectiveness in Rankings - October 12, 2017
- Google Adds Audience Reviews to Movie & TV Show Knowledge Panels - October 6, 2017
- Use Sitemaps for Sites With Many Hreflang Annotations - October 5, 2017