Google is testing a new autosuggest in the mobile search results, this time highlighting specific news that Google sees as trending when the search is done.
Here is what it looks like, when you start searching for something trending:
When you click on the trending in the news link, it takes you to a regular search results page for the particular query.
So it seems to be identifying searches that are actively being searched with higher frequency than normal and showing those trending in the news autosuggests.
It isn’t just targeting searches that have rich lists added at the top. Here is another example:
And the results page:
Google has tested trending news in search before, but this version is much different, in that instead of highlighting random trending news, it is for news specifically related to the search query being typed in.
I was seeing this on iOS in both Chrome and Safari.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Switching to AMP Won’t Negate Other SEO & Google Algo Issues on a Site - April 26, 2018
- Google: Major Redesigns & Issues With Search Traffic Loss - April 25, 2018
- Google: Dividing One Page Into Multiple Pages Often Dilutes Value for SEO - April 24, 2018
- Google: Do Not Link Hreflang to Redirecting URLs - April 17, 2018
- Google Adds Manual Action for Google Job Postings Schema - April 17, 2018