Google is testing a new autosuggest in the mobile search results, this time highlighting specific news that Google sees as trending when the search is done.
Here is what it looks like, when you start searching for something trending:
When you click on the trending in the news link, it takes you to a regular search results page for the particular query.
So it seems to be identifying searches that are actively being searched with higher frequency than normal and showing those trending in the news autosuggests.
It isn’t just targeting searches that have rich lists added at the top. Here is another example:
And the results page:
Google has tested trending news in search before, but this version is much different, in that instead of highlighting random trending news, it is for news specifically related to the search query being typed in.
I was seeing this on iOS in both Chrome and Safari.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Cloudflare Credentials Stolen in Web Developer Chrome Extension Hack - August 18, 2017
- Google Search Console Sends Security Warning Notices for HTTP Sites - August 18, 2017
- Bing Testing Blended Local Mini One Pack in Search Results - August 15, 2017
- Google Still Ignores Last-Modified Meta Tag - August 11, 2017
- Google Ignores Geo Meta Tags in Regular Search Results - August 10, 2017