Google is testing a reduced number of Product Listing Ads showing at the top of the search results. While we usually see 6 items, and often a carousel, seeing only three items is a bit unusual, especially when there are more products available that could be shown.
What I find most interesting about these is that when there are only three ads, the added white space really makes those 3 PLAs stand out significantly more than when you compare the same one with 4-6 images instead.
Compare with the same size PLA unit with 6 items instead of just 3.
They also seem to display as three on the right sidebar, but since that is usually only 4 products wide, it isn’t as significant.
Google tested the 3 item PLAs back in May, but it seemed to be a limited test. It might be bringing them back
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google, Microsoft, Facebook & More Targeting “Worst Offender” Ad Types - April 21, 2017
- Man Arrested for Sending Google Forged Court Orders to Remove Search Results - April 21, 2017
- Errors When Submitting URL to Google Search Console; Workaround Available - April 20, 2017
- Google AdWords Adds Company Based Product Listing Ads to Search Results - April 19, 2017
- Google Does Not Devalue Pages With Internal Nofollow Links - April 18, 2017