Google is testing a reduced number of Product Listing Ads showing at the top of the search results. While we usually see 6 items, and often a carousel, seeing only three items is a bit unusual, especially when there are more products available that could be shown.
What I find most interesting about these is that when there are only three ads, the added white space really makes those 3 PLAs stand out significantly more than when you compare the same one with 4-6 images instead.
Compare with the same size PLA unit with 6 items instead of just 3.
They also seem to display as three on the right sidebar, but since that is usually only 4 products wide, it isn’t as significant.
Google tested the 3 item PLAs back in May, but it seemed to be a limited test. It might be bringing them back
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Sending New Wave of Mobile-First Indexing Enabled Notifications - May 17, 2018
- Google Testing Disambiguation Box for Local Packs - May 17, 2018
- Google & Optimizing for Local “Near Me” Searches in Search Results - May 16, 2018
- Removing Sitemap Files From Google Search Console - May 16, 2018
- Why Google Won’t Give Specific Meta Description Lengths - May 15, 2018