Google AMP has barely launched and Google is already tweaking how those articles are appearing in the Google search results. When Google was in testing and when it launched, all AMP articles had a green lightning bolt icon on them. But Google has now changed the color to a much less noticeable gray.
Here is how it looks with the new gray icon.
Here is how the icon was originally appearing in the news carousel of the search results when it launched:
It is not clear why Google made this change, although perhaps the bright green detracted from the rest of the AMP results, since it was very eye catching, particularly when it was something new that people weren’t used to seeing.
I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Google do further testing of the AMP icon, similarly to how we see Google testing a wide variety of colored stars too.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Receive Guest Blog Post Spam Requests? Report Them to Google - May 26, 2017
- Google Warns Against Link Building Via Articles & Guest Posts - May 26, 2017
- Google AdWords Aims to Increase AMP Publisher Revenue with New AMP Ads Conversion - May 24, 2017
- Google Adds Reporting Flag to Local “Check the Facts” Feature - May 23, 2017
- Google Tests Blue Versus Black Sitelinks in Mobile Search - May 23, 2017