Google+ is trying to encourage people to “follow interesting people” on Google+ by redirecting them to a “Get the latest from your favorites on Google+” page when you login to the site.
When I logged into Google+ for the first time since before Christmas, I was redirected to the following landing page instead of my usual Google+ news feed page.
When you click “more”, you get a carousel display of Google+ pages, and as you click each one, it shows the latest Google+ posts from each one. Here is an example when I clicked the Entertainment category – and it also gives an option to follow all of the listed pages – 31 in this case.
All of the suggested Google+ pages to follow have posted something within the last month – the earliest “latest” post I could find was from December 1, 2014. Most had been updated within the past few days
This certainly raises the question of whether Google is considering having an advertising feature that would allow advertisers to pay to promote their Google+ page via this follow page. Even when looking at the Travel suggestions, some that would seem to be promotional, such as Expedia, Booking.com, AccorHotels.com and Trip Advisor, none were labeled as being promoted or sponsored in any way.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020
- Analyzing “How Google Search Works” Changes from Google - July 8, 2020
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019