Google has been saying since they initially launched AMP that Google would be expanding the use of AMP. And now we know where it is starting… the news results.
The fact Google is first expanding into news isn’t a big surprise. After all, AMP results first started appearing in the “In the news” results. So going to the news results is a natural progression.
The change is for all platforms – Web, iOS and Android. Here is how it appears in Google News for iOS.
The AMP is merely displayed as the lightning bolt symbol, but without the words “AMP” next to it.
So – what’s new? At the top of the page, there is a new AMP carousel filled with important headlines and stories of the day. Users can browse up to 14 headlines there quickly, and click any article to jump into the viewer, which is optimized for fast-loading AMP articles. In the viewer, people can also swipe to continue reading other stories from the carousel. Within the regular News stream, AMPlified articles are labelled with the AMP lightning bolt icon. That way, users can know these will be fast even before they click.
Google says that this is appearing first in the US for English users, but will expand to other countries and languages.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Why Google Shows Same Site Multiple Times for Competitive Keywords - March 22, 2018
- Google: Can Take 6+ Months to See Rankings Improve from Quality Improvements - March 21, 2018
- Google Mobile First: Search Console Alerts & Report Annotations Coming - March 21, 2018
- Google Drops Zero Search Results Experiment - March 21, 2018
- Google Does Not Treat Adult Sites Differently in Search Results - March 20, 2018