One of the major limitations with Google+ hangouts is that it lacked an effective chat feature that allows the hosting person to easily share links with their audience. Google+ is introducing a new Showcase app that allows hosts to share links, videos, merchandise and profiles in the sidebar of the hangout – information that will also be retained when events are viewed later.
This change is going to be extremely useful for those who use Google+ Hangouts on Air for promotional reasons. You can easily share links – or even affiliate links – of items you are discussing in the Hangout, use it to share exclusive Hangout-only links or even to sell products and more. The links will all be opened in a new tab, so you don’t need to worry about losing viewers if you share links with them.
If you link to a page with multiple images, the images will be displayed in a slide show format. They recommend using tracking codes or goo.gl URL shorteners so you can track how many people are clicking on the ads.
The Showcase App can help create a more engaging experience during your livebroadcasted Hangout. You can:• Sell merchandise• Reveal new video content using YouTube• Promote a film or album release with links to ticket sales, trailers and Google Play content• Rally constituents or build awareness for key causes and issues by linking to relevant resources and websites
This could end up being a very valuable webinar tool for those who want to reach out to their audience while being able to share links within the video in a format better than simple YouTube video annotations.
The Showcase app is now live for Google+ Hangouts on Air users.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018
- Google Testing “Relevant History” Section in Mobile Search Results - August 31, 2018