Google has added a new alert to Google Search Console, this time for favicons for sites that are still utilizing the older and smaller favicons for their site.
Paul Macnamara shared the screenshot of the new alert.
For sites with favicons that are lower resolution, Google is sending this alert out asking site owners to update their favicon to a 192x192px high resolution favicon. Google specifically references Chrome new tab pages and Android home screen, so especially if you have a site that someone might add to their home screen, updating this icon should be a priority.
Many sites still have legacy favicons, which started 16×16 and later 32×32 in size. And it is very easy to be able to create a nice favicon with the updated size Google wants.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- 2022 Update for Google Quality Rater Guidelines – Big YMYL Updates - August 1, 2022
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines: The Low Quality 2021 Update - October 19, 2021
- Rethinking Affiliate Sites With Google’s Product Review Update - April 23, 2021
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020