Google is testing yet another card style in the Google desktop results for their “Top Stories” news related listings.
This test is quite distinctive because it does have some mobile elements, with it being in the card format. But it isn’t displayed carousel style and Google has removed the images from the test. So while these new ones do stand out, the lack of images is an interesting choice.
Google is also testing a card and image variation as well. But when you compare them, they surprisingly take up about just a slight bit more screen real estate, for dramatically different results.
Google has been bringing mobile style results to the desktop search results over the past couple of years, in their drive to make desktop more closely match what searchers see on mobile, now that more than 50% of searches are done on mobile.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- No Plans for Google to Mark HTTP as Insecure in Search Results - September 22, 2017
- Google: Do HTTPS Migrations Separate From Other Major Changes - September 22, 2017
- Google: Rankings Should Remain Stable With HTTPS Migrations - September 21, 2017
- Google: Value (or Not) of Doing Link Audits - September 20, 2017
- Google Indexes AMP Version for Mobile First When No Regular Mobile Page - September 19, 2017