Google is testing yet another card style in the Google desktop results for their “Top Stories” news related listings.
This test is quite distinctive because it does have some mobile elements, with it being in the card format. But it isn’t displayed carousel style and Google has removed the images from the test. So while these new ones do stand out, the lack of images is an interesting choice.
Google is also testing a card and image variation as well. But when you compare them, they surprisingly take up about just a slight bit more screen real estate, for dramatically different results.
Google has been bringing mobile style results to the desktop search results over the past couple of years, in their drive to make desktop more closely match what searchers see on mobile, now that more than 50% of searches are done on mobile.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- How Google Chooses “People Also Search For” in Knowledge Panels - March 27, 2017
- Google’s Algo Removes Some Site’s Search Results Pages from Index - March 27, 2017
- Google Mobile First Index: Page Speed Included as a Ranking Factor - March 23, 2017
- Mobile First Index: Google Aiming for Quality Neutral Launch - March 23, 2017
- Google Sending “Safe Browsing Policy Updates” to Previously Hacked Sites - March 20, 2017