Twitter is testing a new look to their mobile Twitter UI… and it will likely drive you crazy…. For starter, stars for favorites are gone, and have been replaced with hearts. And it doesn’t get much better from there, especially for regular or longtime Twitter users.
Yes, it definitely looks like they hired a teenage girl with a One Direction obsession to design this heart-laden UI.
When you click through to the notifications tab, you get full color heart emoji action.
Here is a comparison from a few months ago:
It isn’t clear if this change is permanent, or if you can revert back to the old style, especially for longtime Twitter users. But there is no option in settings to change it back. I can see how this heart UI would apply to a certain segment of their market, but having no way to change it isn’t good.
Twitter has really been working on a way to make the platform more attractive to the new and casual user, and hearts are slightly more intuitive for those used to the hearts on Instagram. But many of the things Twitter has considered trying could negatively impact their current loyal following.
Will this stick around? Perhaps. I could see them offering it by default to all new users. But considering this makes tweets less visible, not to mention the hearts, hopefully they make this optional for older users.
Added: And here is the background for the source of the test, via Pedro Dias.
— Jordan 'Jaws' Novet (@jordannovet) June 17, 2015
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Sending Manual Actions for Event Markup Spam in Search Results - November 28, 2017
- Google: Why Featured Snippets Rankings are Volatile - November 14, 2017
- Google Home Services Ads Now Local Services Ads; Expanded Categories - November 13, 2017
- Google Adding More Structured Data Search Features to Search Results - November 10, 2017
- Adding Structured Data Helps Google Understand & Rank Webpages Better - November 10, 2017