If you have ever wanted to do a quick poll of your followers, you would either need to watch all your @replies or use a third party off-site polling tool in order to calculate results. But it appears that Twitter is testing a poll that you can embed directly within a tweet.
Ryan Hoover posted the following tweet yesterday:
There are some great opportunities to use this for decision making on the fly. For example, the Oakland Raiders used it yesterday to let the fans decide which player should be featured behind the scenes for that day’s practice.
Not all users currently have access to polls, but it isn’t restricted to just verified users, as non-verified users are also using them. If you have the option to add a poll, there will be a new “Poll” box that sites between the location and the character count on the Twitter web client when you go to compose a tweet. The create poll option is not available in Tweetdeck.
It also displays quite differently to mobile users when viewing a poll:
The one major downside is that you cannot embed a tweet with the poll included and some Twitter clients are not yet showing the poll unit within the tweet. Here it is embedded, and it looks similar when a Twitter client cannot display it – simply the question without the poll underneath:
Is this a poll?
— Ryan Hoover (@rrhoover) September 24, 2015
A nice addition but I suspect it will get old very quickly if everyone begins making endless polls and the Twitter feed becomes cluttered with them.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018