Yahoo is testing Google ads in their search results with a unique twist. The Google AdWords ads showing in the sidebar are displaying extensions including sitelinks and reviews.
Here are some examples of the Google AdWords ads showing on Yahoo.
And here is an example with ratings in the sidebar. It was also a test where they were showing ratings below the entire ad, rather than the usual position below the title.
And another example with both ratings and the locations extension.
They also make the sidebar ads much more noticeable. But they are also much wider than how we normally see the right sidebar on Google search results.
They are also wider than what we see showing in the sidebar for most search results.
Since these are Google ads, it is likely they are watching the results of this test closely. We haven’t seen Google do much in the way of extensions in their sidebar ads, aside from this test where they added a site search box to the ads.
It definitely is interesting to see Yahoo doing this test, although we have seen them doing plenty of testing as they are working to increase their revenue. And with their search results being very ad heavy, this really isn’t a surprise to see them trying to draw attention to more ads that are on the page, especially above the fold.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- 2022 Update for Google Quality Rater Guidelines – Big YMYL Updates - August 1, 2022
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines: The Low Quality 2021 Update - October 19, 2021
- Rethinking Affiliate Sites With Google’s Product Review Update - April 23, 2021
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020