It seems everyone has plenty of questions about 404 errors lately, and Gary Illyes from Google has been answering many of them on Twitter. The latest followup question was asking whether 404s have any impact on Panda 4.2.
And not surprisingly, the answer is no, there’s no impact on Panda.
— Gary Illyes (@methode) August 11, 2015
The discussions began when Illyes commented that 404 error pages do not cause a Google penalty. He followed up later stating that Google ignores links to 404 pages, and aside from some edge cases, regular 404s and soft 404s have links ignored too.
John Mueller also detailed the differences and nuances between a 404 error page and a 410 page earlier this year too.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- No Plans for Google to Mark HTTP as Insecure in Search Results - September 22, 2017
- Google: Do HTTPS Migrations Separate From Other Major Changes - September 22, 2017
- Google: Rankings Should Remain Stable With HTTPS Migrations - September 21, 2017
- Google: Value (or Not) of Doing Link Audits - September 20, 2017
- Google Indexes AMP Version for Mobile First When No Regular Mobile Page - September 19, 2017