Many webmasters have switched from Drupal to WordPress in recent years, but there are still many sites running Drupal. And with many of these sites being older, Drupal has been the target of exploits previously, including the October 2014 attack that saw many Drupal sites exploited if they did not upgrade within hours of a new Drupal version being released.
There are more details on the IOActive blog about the new vulnerabilities, but one leads users to believe their site is fully updated when it is not. Due to how Drupal handles the updating process, if the site has an issue during the updating, such as a network problem, Drupal will show that the site was upgraded to the latest version, when in fact the update attempt failed.
Another vulnerability is due to an unencrypted connection during the update process can result in an attacker eavesdropping on the network traffic to supply a fake update. While this won’t affect most users, it could affect those who are running updates through a public network – such as public WiFi.
These possible exploits may not been patched at this time, although Drupal did just release a new patch to version 8.0.2 a few hours ago which may fix these issues. But be sure to update your version of Drupal in a secure environment. While most security researchers don’t publish exploits without permission or until the security holes have been patched, according to ThreatPost, Drupal gave the researcher permission to publish, although Drupal has yet to comment publicly. But this also means that the problem is now publicized to those who could take advantage of it.
Update: Almost two days after this post, Drupal finally commented publicly here.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google: 301s & 302s, What is Best For PageRank & Ranking Signals - October 18, 2017
- Why Google Rewrites Title Tags in Search Results - October 18, 2017
- How Google Determines Which Ads & Search Features to Show on Search Results Page - October 17, 2017
- Removing Low Quality Pages Won’t Result in Sitewide Google Rankings Boost - October 13, 2017
- Google: Dynamics of Top Three Ranking Factors & Link Effectiveness in Rankings - October 12, 2017