At SMX Sydney Wednesday, Gary Illyes from Google said that they are looking into including answer box data into Google Webmaster Tools. This is great news for webmasters who have sites in search results that often show answer boxes above the organic results.
Google is looking to provide data on "web answers" (answer box 2.0) in Google Webmaster Tools #smx
— Dr. Pete Meyers (@dr_pete) May 13, 2015
— Reeva (@ReevaCutting) May 13, 2015
There has been a lot of controversy with the answer boxes in the SEO community. Are those featured in the box losing traffic because of them? Are others in the search results losing traffic because no one explores results beyond the answer box?
But for users, they are certainly useful, and Google does cater to what is best for users. It is handy to be able to ask something quickly, and get the answer right there, especially when searchers are on a mobile device.
If we do get this data, it will be good to analyze just how having an answer box may or may not affect traffic, especially since in Google Analytics webmasters can’t determine if a click was from an answer box or not.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018