Bing has added new thumbnails to their organic search results for some product searches. These thumbnails make those particular search results stand out, but most notably, these are organic search result listings, not paid ones.
While it is unclear what triggers these product thumbnails in the organic search results, for every search I did that had these new thumbnails, they all seem to have the Bing Shopping Ads appearing at the top. However, I did see some results with shopping ads that didn’t have the organic thumbnails.
The images shown in the shopping ads aren’t always used in the thumbnails either. For example, the Eco-Carafe result in the first screenshot did not show the same image in the shopping ad above.
When looking at the results, there is a lot of sites like eBay, Amazon, Target, Walmart and Home Depot – primarily all large retailers.
They also don’t match the stores showing in the Bing Shopping Ads, so they do not appear to be related that way either.
But there are other examples which are more generic rather than a specific single product.
As you can see, some of the thumbnails work much better than others. However, if Bing bumped up the image size to one similar to the thumbnail size they use for Bing News results, some of them would look a bit better.
This could be a test they are running, as I couldn’t trigger them in a separate browser session. But since they don’t seem to trigger for smaller sites, at least not at the present moment, it won’t be something that many webmasters can take advantage of.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020
- Analyzing “How Google Search Works” Changes from Google - July 8, 2020
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019