Last week we wrote about Bing Ads pulling information from the landing page to insert into the ad copy in the search results… and now we know why. It is a from a Bing Ads annotation.
First, here’s what it looks like in the search results, courtesy of Bryant Garvin.
The usual ad copy is being replaced by content being pulled from the landing page for the ad.
The annotation is called Dynamic Description Annotation.
Enrich ads with Bing-generated descriptions that are relevant to customers’ search queries, based on content from your ad’s landing page.
Dynamic descriptions help to increase customers’ confidence in the relevance of your ad, which can help to increase clicks. This is particularly useful when the description provided is too generic and doesn’t contain keywords customers are searching on.
This annotation is currently being used in both the US and the UK.
Not all advertisers will see this annotation being used, and few people have noticed in live in the search results. Like all Bing annotations, they will only use it if they feel it will increase performance or quality of the ad.
Advertisers are only able to opt out of this particular annotation by opting out of all annotations, something not many advertisers are willing to do. So if you see issues with the choice of landing page content the annotation is pulling for the ad, there might not be a lot to do in order to see it changed. But again, we aren’t seeing this much in practice at this time. UPDATE: Earlier this week, a Bing rep said this annotation can only be opted out by opting out of all annotations. She let me know tonight that Bing had made a change she wasn’t aware of, and annotations can be opted out individually now.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018