Bing has added a new ad unit to the top of their search results highlighting the Black Friday flyers of some businesses.
The ads highlight the entire flyer with a “view flyer option” along with thumbnails and links to individual items that are on sale for Black Friday. The ad unit also includes when the Black Friday sale officially begins, either Thursday or Friday, and the opening time.
Here is another example:
The thumbnails seem to be merely a cropped image of the item from the flyer, rather than a product image. This seems to be since the company running the ad, Flipp.com, is actually a digital platform specifically for flyers for various retailers.
Here is one with better looking “product” thumbnails, but again it is simply how the flyer is presented and cropped.
Clicking on the flyer will bring the searcher to the Flipp.com page for the flyer. But clicking on an individual product highlighted within the ad unit still only brings the searcher to the flyer page, leaving the searcher to hunt in the flyer for the product. It isn’t highlighted within the flyer at all on Flipp.com
It is definitely an interesting way to present a flyer as an ad at the top of the Bing search results. We could see them start showing up for flyers outside of a huge event like Black Friday.
These seem to only be displaying for those within the US, on both desktop and mobile.
Added: This could be a limited test, as not everyone in the US can see the new ad units.
Here are some additional examples:
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- 2022 Update for Google Quality Rater Guidelines – Big YMYL Updates - August 1, 2022
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines: The Low Quality 2021 Update - October 19, 2021
- Rethinking Affiliate Sites With Google’s Product Review Update - April 23, 2021
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020
How do you guys like the functionality and the experience?