Here is an example:
The larger thumbnail is 195 x 195 pixels while the original thumbnail size is 80 x 80.
The news stories don’t seem restricted to a particular news sites, as I saw them on many different ones. But they definitely do draw the eye over anything else on the page they appear on.
Here is another example:
It does seem that more popular or significant news stories tend to trigger the larger thumbnails, as they are not displayed for all searches that show news stories on the first page of the search results. For example, here is a search for Obama showing today:
Many searches on Bing also show no thumbnails at all in their search results, so there definitely seems to be a link to the importance or popularity of a story. Bing began showing larger news thumbnails last week.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Bing Testing Blended Local Mini One Pack in Search Results - August 15, 2017
- Google Still Ignores Last-Modified Meta Tag - August 11, 2017
- Google Ignores Geo Meta Tags in Regular Search Results - August 10, 2017
- Bing Testing Google-like Search Header at Top of Search Results - August 10, 2017
- Google Testing Ad Tag Placement in Google Local Packs - August 7, 2017