Here is an example:
The larger thumbnail is 195 x 195 pixels while the original thumbnail size is 80 x 80.
The news stories don’t seem restricted to a particular news sites, as I saw them on many different ones. But they definitely do draw the eye over anything else on the page they appear on.
Here is another example:
It does seem that more popular or significant news stories tend to trigger the larger thumbnails, as they are not displayed for all searches that show news stories on the first page of the search results. For example, here is a search for Obama showing today:
Many searches on Bing also show no thumbnails at all in their search results, so there definitely seems to be a link to the importance or popularity of a story. Bing began showing larger news thumbnails last week.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Use Google Disavow Like Before, No Changes With Real Time Penguin - September 26, 2016
- No Changes to Link Related Manual Actions with Penguin Real Time Launch - September 26, 2016
- Google Launches Real-Time Penguin 4.0: All The Changes & Details - September 23, 2016
- Google Testing Individual Hotel Booking Block at Top of Search Results - September 22, 2016
- Recovering From Accidental Site Removal via Google Search Console Remove URL Tool - September 21, 2016