If you aren’t a fan of Google reducing the organic result footprint within their search results, you probably won’t be happy to see this test. Google is testing running two “people also search for” in the search results.
As you can see, there are two different “People also search for”, both with expansion options to expand any of the queries. The one at the bottom is the usual position for this feature, but the upper one is new.
This new format also drops multiple organic listings from that search result too, from 10 organic search results to only 7.
This actually doesn’t look like a very good search result by having two different “People also search for” sections, even though they both feature different queries within each. It introduces a lot of white space, and it definitely raises the question about whether users really need to see a total of 8 search suggestions to explore or refine the query.
They are also asking for feedback about the two blocks of “people also search for”.
Personally, I would rather see an additional result or two, rather than 8 more additional search suggestions. I even find the second block, with 5 suggestions, a bit too long. This could be another attempt for mobile-friendly style within the desktop results too.
This seems to be used for testing on a small percentage of users. I hope this is one that doesn’t make the cut to be a permanent change to the search results.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Soliciting Their Own Movie Review Ratings in Search Results - December 6, 2016
- Google AMP URLs to Get New Non-Google.com URLs - December 6, 2016
- Google Expanding Home Services Ads to LA, Then Nationwide in 2017 - December 5, 2016
- Google’s New Card Style News Drops Local 3-Pack Lower in Search Results - December 5, 2016
- Sued for Leaving a Negative Review? It Will Soon Be Illegal in the US - December 5, 2016