Any old school SEO will remember the days when a Yahoo Directory listing was really important. And while not many still submitted sites regularly to the directory, it still has a place in many SEO’s hearts. But Yahoo has announced that they will be closing the Yahoo Directory later this year.
Yahoo announced on their official Tumblr that they will be closing the Yahoo Directory on December 31, 2014.
Yahoo was started nearly 20 years ago as a directory of websites that helped users explore the Internet. While we are still committed to connecting users with the information they’re passionate about, our business has evolved and at the end of 2014 (December 31), we will retire the Yahoo Directory. Advertisers will be upgraded to a new service; more details to be communicated directly.
The Yahoo Directory still appears to be accepting submissions at this time and there are listings with the yellow NEW! icon next to them. Listings cost $299 per year, and there are still thousands of businesses listed, however it is unclear how many of them are paid.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Rethinking Affiliate Sites With Google’s Product Review Update - April 23, 2021
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020
- Analyzing “How Google Search Works” Changes from Google - July 8, 2020
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019