Google has added new filters to the local 3-pack on both desktop and mobile for all users. This allows searchers to filter listings with their own preferences.
The two standard filters are “ratings” and “hours” that show up above the first listing in the local 3-pack.
It also shows up for mobile users as well, with “top rated” and “open now” filters.
However, if you do a brand name search for something with multiple locations, it no longer shows the rating filter, but only the hours filter.
We have seen filtering in restaurant related queries and have seen filtering in other types of businesses off and on during testing by Google. But this new change seems to cover all local 3-packs, not just restaurant specific queries.
Will this mean that getting top ratings will be even more important for Google My Business listings? Possibly. But it is hard to know just how much use these new filters will actually get in practice.
The change appears to be live for all users.
H/T Sergey Alakov
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Showing AMP Carousels for Local Review Sites - February 22, 2017
- Google AMP Recipe Carousels Live in Search Results - February 21, 2017
- Bing Ads Begins Showing Product Ads Carousels in Search Results - February 21, 2017
- Google Showing Animated GIFs in Search Results via Google Posts - February 17, 2017
- Google’s Mobile First Search Index Moving Towards Launch - February 16, 2017