Sometimes if you search for a business, and you know the address is by a shopping mall, it is hard to know if the location is actually inside the shopping mall or not. The same with some businesses that are actually located in specific buildings or hotels. Google has made a change and is now showing this information in their local results.
Joy Hawkins was the first to notice the addition of shopping mall locations, although I discovered that Google also added information when businesses are located within specific hotels or buildings.
First, an example for a shopping mall, displaying in both the knowledge panel and the 3-pack. The local panel adds “Located in:” while the 3-pack just adds the location as an additional line:
Google is also detailing when a business is located in hotels or office buildings. For example, this local 3-pack shows both a Starbucks inside an office building – the Renaissance Tower – as well as a Starbucks located inside a hotel – The Fairmont Dallas Hotel.
Clicking on the shopping mall, hotel or office building within the local listing will then bring up a search for that building, including the local knowledge panel, if available.
This is a great feature. As someone who travels a lot, it is very convenient to know if a business is located within a mall or other building or hotel that can be used as a landmark. But it is also convenient for local searchers trying to find a location and knowing if it is an outside location they can quickly go to, or if they have to find parking at a mall and then go inside the mall to get to the business.
The new “located in” information seems to be displayed internationally. And it seems that some of these must be triggered automatically, if it is known. But if you would like it to display for your business, you can contact Google My Business support to get it added.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google to Devalue Sites with Pop-Ups & Interstitials in Mobile Search Results - August 23, 2016
- Google Dropping Mobile Friendly Tag; 85% Mobile Search Results are Mobile Friendly - August 23, 2016
- Abusive Bots & Services Behind the AdWords Keyword Planner Data Restrictions - August 19, 2016
- Google AdWords Express Adds Detailed Call Tracking, Ad Scheduling & Map Actions - August 18, 2016
- Bing Ads Upgraded URLs Now Available for Easier Tracking Management - August 17, 2016