Google added the “Live” tag in front of video links in the Google search results last year, and it appears they are now doing the same for community driven sites that feature very active threads.
On Friday, members of the band Viola Beach died in a car crash, there were many news pieces being published in the aftermath. But one sticks out – a very active thread on Reddit was being featured in the search results, with Google adding the red “Live” tag. But instead of it marking a live video event, it is marking a very active community-driven page.
Here is what it looks like within the mobile search results:
Later. however, it was no longer being displayed, and now it actually isn’t even on the first page of the mobile results.
It is definitely interesting that Google is choosing to display content types that aren’t just the initial live video streams, although it is worth noting that Google was highlighting both YouTube and non-YouTube sources for the live event videos that Google adds the “Live” tag to. So it isn’t that unusual that Google is adding a “Live” tag to Reddit.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google to Devalue Sites with Pop-Ups & Interstitials in Mobile Search Results - August 23, 2016
- Google Dropping Mobile Friendly Tag; 85% Mobile Search Results are Mobile Friendly - August 23, 2016
- Abusive Bots & Services Behind the AdWords Keyword Planner Data Restrictions - August 19, 2016
- Google AdWords Express Adds Detailed Call Tracking, Ad Scheduling & Map Actions - August 18, 2016
- Bing Ads Upgraded URLs Now Available for Easier Tracking Management - August 17, 2016