When you click on the download link, Google will optimize the elements and create a zip file you can download that contains all the elements in it, each type in its own folder.
If your site has major optimization issues, you will need to run this in a few steps, correcting the issues as you go along, as Google will only include up to 10MB of optimized contents in each download.
Of course, you do want to take this with a grain of salt. Perhaps you don’t want to reduce the images to the suggested 150×150 pixel size that Google is using for optimization purposes. Generally it’s safe to have your images be larger than that, as long as you aren’t going overboard and serving up 1200 pixel wide images to mobile users, as that does add unnecessary bloat and reduces the page load speed. That said, if there are other page speed issues, this can be an easier way to lower the page speed.
This is a great addition to the page speed insights, especially for those who might not have the necessary knowledge of how they can reduce the size and bloat in some of these elements. I do stress again that you will want to back up all the files you are planning on changing with Google’s new optimized ones, that way you can upload the old version if something goes awry.
To use, simply go to the PageSpeed Insights Page in the Google Developers section (it isn’t in your Google Webmaster Tools account, if you are looking for it there, like I always seem to). Enter your URL, click the Analyze button and Google will check the page speed and recommend the changes you should make to speed up load time.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Adds New “Best” Product Carousel to the Search Results - January 23, 2018
- Google Adds Research Search Feature to the Search Results - January 23, 2018
- Google’s Mobile Page Speed Update: Everything SEOs Need to Know - January 18, 2018
- Bing Adds Appointment Booking to Local Panel in Search Results - January 17, 2018
- Google Adds “Best Answer” to the Search Results for Q&A Page Results - January 15, 2018