Google is separating out the first result for some search queries when someone is searching for well known entities, such as people, brands or companies. Here is an example.
They all seem to appear when there are news listings above the “official” site.
These aren’t restricted to just the official sites for the brand or person. Glenn Gabe, who spotted the change, found this example from the Player’s Tribune.
— Glenn Gabe (@glenngabe) July 6, 2016
Google has used similar line breaks before, when they used to separate out the in-depth articles in the search results, and they also use it to show different search features, such as news, images or video results within the regular search results.
It will be interesting to see if Google adopts this or not.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- 2022 Update for Google Quality Rater Guidelines – Big YMYL Updates - August 1, 2022
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines: The Low Quality 2021 Update - October 19, 2021
- Rethinking Affiliate Sites With Google’s Product Review Update - April 23, 2021
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020