Google is testing a brand-new layout for local listings in their regular Google search results, this time with the company’s logo displaying on the left-hand side where you would normally see a map icon with location details.
It also appears for businesses that do not have a logo to display, it will show a thumbnail of the location on a map, along with a red Google maps pin.
This test was seen on desktop Chrome.
This style of local pack also brings it much closer to a search results style that Google was testing on mobile last year.
Google does not seem to be pulling the logos from images in the Google My Business listings. Instead they simply pulling the logo straight from the website, and they do seem to be making an attempt to somewhat thumbnail it to show the entire logo.
When expanded, it shows additional listings, with one default Google Maps thumbnail while the remaining listings are all “action shots” similar to what we have seen on hotel and restuarant local packs in the search results.
We have seen Google play around with thumbnail images showing in local parks, but it is primarily only been in the hotel and restaurant spaces, where it will show an image of the hotel or one of the restaurant dishes.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Testing “Near City” in Local 3-Pack - September 27, 2016
- Use Google Disavow Like Before, No Changes With Real Time Penguin - September 26, 2016
- No Changes to Link Related Manual Actions with Penguin Real Time Launch - September 26, 2016
- Google Launches Real-Time Penguin 4.0: All The Changes & Details - September 23, 2016
- Google Testing Individual Hotel Booking Block at Top of Search Results - September 22, 2016