Here is what the new style looks like in the search results:
It is also worth noting that Google does not display any AdWords ads above the search results when using this new Home Services Ad box. AdWords are only being displayed in the right sidebar.
Google also does not appear to be including any local 3-pack results on pages that show home services ads. Previously, we did see both Home Service ads and local 3-packs appearing on the same search result page, with the paid version appearing first.
When Google first began testing Home Service Ads for local searches, they closely resembled the regular organic local 3-pack we are used to seeing. Here is an example of the 3-pack version:
So they could be trying to differentiate from the local 3-pack. Or it could simply be they want searchers to be able to specify the exact type of work they want done, without contacting those who don’t provide the service.
The landing page after you select a zip code and type of work has also been updated:
Those who aren’t advertising via Home Service ads will probably like this change, since it doesn’t put the paid advertisers right on the search results page. But the loss of the regular local 3-pack will also hurt those businesses, putting the emphasis back onto ranking well in the organic search results for those in the market areas the Home Service Ads are covering. And with Home Service Ads expected to expand in the new year, organic SEO will become even more important for local businesses that might have been content to rank well in the local 3-pack only.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Analyzing “How Google Search Works” Changes from Google - July 8, 2020
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019