Google is testing some new positioning for the “Ads” tag in their local packs on mobile.
Normally, Google places the ads tag in the same line as the review stars. But when a listing has no review stars, it drops the ads tag even further in the listing, inexplicably adding it to the address line instead, which is the third line in the listing.
In all the examples I found, none of the listings had any star reviews in the local pack.
Here is what it normally looks like, with the tag immediately below:
The placement of the ads tag so low in the local listing is a bit unusual, since normally ads are shown much more prominently. While it still has the top spot in the local pack, the positioning of that tag should definitely be higher in the listing itself.
This seems to be active, and the format for Google when it does not show review stars in the local pack.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018
- Google Testing “Relevant History” Section in Mobile Search Results - August 31, 2018