If you are a local business, you should expect that your to see a drop off in Foursquare check-ins as the Foursquare officially drops the check-in feature from their app. Foursquare is dropping user’s ability to check-in, the feature that made the company famous. Instead, users will now have to download a second app in order to check-in.
In May, Foursquare announced it would be splitting their local functionality with their check-in functionality in a move many saw as transitioning Foursquare to be in line with other popular local apps such as Yelp.
Along with the change, Foursquare has introduced a brand new logo that looks nothing like their former familiar one.
For check-ins, users will now have to download and install a separate app from the company called Swarm, which will merge check-in functionality with FourSquare. Without the Swarm app, checking-in at a location will not be an option, instead it only displays relevant local information such as info, ratings and the ability to see the menu or making a reservation for restaurants.
Swarm still shows the old Foursquare logo as part of their own logo.
Here are the two versions – the one on the left is Foursquare alone, while the one on the right also has the Swarm app.
Foursquare says that three-quarters of all users are already using the Swarm app. However, the new checking button isn’t nearly as noticeable as the old check-in button, so this could definitely impact the number of check-ins as well.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018
- Google Testing “Relevant History” Section in Mobile Search Results - August 31, 2018
- Google Converts PDFs, DOCs, XLS etc into HTML for Indexing - August 30, 2018
- Why Google Shows Featured Snippets With Images from Another Site - August 29, 2018
- How to Download Links Report in New Google Search Console - August 27, 2018