Google is testing a new type of local result, but this time they are styled as local shopping ads, showing on a map where a product can be bought.
They are definitely AdWords ads, and through a beta AdWords ad extension, as they have the yellow “Ads” tag with “Stores for gas grills near you.” It shows 3 large retailers in the results – Lowe’s, hhgregg and Walmart, leading to speculation Google is working with a small number of large brand advertisers on this new ad extension. Because these don’t list specific products, but rather generic products, they are not technically shopping ads.
It definitely opens up an interesting ad opportunity for AdWords advertisers who want to highlight the fact they sell specific products, complete with a map showing how close they are located to the searcher. This would work especially well for products people want to buy in person fairly quickly, as opposed to products where people might shop around online before ordering it to be shipped.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- 2022 Update for Google Quality Rater Guidelines – Big YMYL Updates - August 1, 2022
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines: The Low Quality 2021 Update - October 19, 2021
- Rethinking Affiliate Sites With Google’s Product Review Update - April 23, 2021
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020