Those who have been around the industry for a while will remember when colored backgrounds – first blue then yellow, along with some random test colors along the way – were always displayed behind ads in the search results, as a way to separate them from the organic un-paid search results.
It would seem Yahoo is going old school with these search result tests I spotted.
They are testing it out on Yahoo Canada, so you may be able to replicate it here. I tried a few other country versions of Yahoo, and none of them were displaying the blue background on the search results.
It is definitely fascinating that Yahoo is testing something that the search engines abandoned several years ago, and on an international version of Yahoo.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Testing Shadowed Stars in Local Search Results - May 23, 2016
- Google Adding Featured Snippets & Rich Results to Search Analytics? - May 23, 2016
- Google Search Console Adds Property Sets to View Multiple Sites Together - May 23, 2016
- Google has 125+ Million AMP Documents Indexed in Search Results - May 20, 2016
- Why Google Increased Title & Description Lengths in Search Results - May 20, 2016