Those who have been around the industry for a while will remember when colored backgrounds – first blue then yellow, along with some random test colors along the way – were always displayed behind ads in the search results, as a way to separate them from the organic un-paid search results.
It would seem Yahoo is going old school with these search result tests I spotted.
They are testing it out on Yahoo Canada, so you may be able to replicate it here. I tried a few other country versions of Yahoo, and none of them were displaying the blue background on the search results.
It is definitely fascinating that Yahoo is testing something that the search engines abandoned several years ago, and on an international version of Yahoo.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- How Google Chooses “People Also Search For” in Knowledge Panels - March 27, 2017
- Google’s Algo Removes Some Site’s Search Results Pages from Index - March 27, 2017
- Google Mobile First Index: Page Speed Included as a Ranking Factor - March 23, 2017
- Mobile First Index: Google Aiming for Quality Neutral Launch - March 23, 2017
- Google Sending “Safe Browsing Policy Updates” to Previously Hacked Sites - March 20, 2017