One of the reports in Google Search Console is the 404 errors report. Every site tends to have at least a few of these 404s, but is it a sign of low quality?
John Mueller was asked about 404s being a sign of low quality, and if 410s are better to use for this reason. But, fortunately for SEOs, 404s are not a sign of a low quality site to Google.
@wockenfoth no, that's definitely not the case.
— John ☆.o(≧▽≦)o.☆ (@JohnMu) March 17, 2017
And Mueller also said that most 404s are not actually the fault of a site owner. And if they had made 404s as a quality issue, then people would just trigger 404s on their competitors all day long.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google, Microsoft, Facebook & More Targeting “Worst Offender” Ad Types - April 21, 2017
- Man Arrested for Sending Google Forged Court Orders to Remove Search Results - April 21, 2017
- Errors When Submitting URL to Google Search Console; Workaround Available - April 20, 2017
- Google AdWords Adds Company Based Product Listing Ads to Search Results - April 19, 2017
- Google Does Not Devalue Pages With Internal Nofollow Links - April 18, 2017