If you still haven’t updated your site to be mobile friendly yet, Google has added yet another level of alerts to site owners whose sites aren’t mobile friendly. In addition to notices sent previously in Google Search Console, Google is now showing an alert right on your search result, when you do a vanity search for your name.
Here as an example of an old legacy site of mine that I have not redesigned with a mobile friendly template.
This only shows in the mobile search results, it does no show up as an alert when you search on desktop.
It only shows when you are logged into your Google account connected to the Google Search Console for the site.
This probably also helps alerting those webmasters who don’t regularly check their Google Search Console accounts for notices and for those who don’t receive email alerts about their site.
Google has been pushing site owners to go mobile friendly for the past couple of years, as the number of mobile searches is greater than the number of desktop searches. And with Google increasing the mobile friendly ranking signal in May, it makes sense that Google is adding this extra reminder to site owners to ensure their site is mobile friendly and receives the boost.
It will be interesting to see if Google uses this to alert site owners to other issues on their site. While we have seen “this site may be hacked” warnings tagged on search results, this is the first time we have seen alerts that are only seen by verified site owners of the property in Google Search Console.
Added: John Mueller from Google confirmed they are only showing these alerts for not being mobile friendly.
@jenstar At the moment it's just those, but I think it's a really neat experiment. Which others should we add?
— John Mueller (@JohnMu) April 7, 2016
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018