If you have noticed a huge decrease in the XML sitemap index numbers showing in your Google Search Console account, you are not the only one. There is a reporting issue currently affecting the numbers.
The decrease began on July 13th and has continued to slide since then. Glenn Gabe shared this image showing the dramatic drop he saw.
@jenstar Yes, there's a reporting issue with the number of indexed URLs from sitemaps. The fix will roll out the next few days.
— Gary Illyes (@methode) July 17, 2015
It doesn’t appear that all sites are affected, but if you have noticed the drop, it should show back to normal in a few days.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018
- Google Testing “Relevant History” Section in Mobile Search Results - August 31, 2018
- Google Converts PDFs, DOCs, XLS etc into HTML for Indexing - August 30, 2018
- Why Google Shows Featured Snippets With Images from Another Site - August 29, 2018