Glenn Gabe shared this screenshot showing his sitemap count numbers jumping back up to about where they were prior to the bug, with several others reporting seeing the same increase in numbers now.
The bug was first noticed on July 13th, with Gary Illyes from Google confirming it a few days later that it was simply a reporting issue with a fix rolling out. While this bug didn’t affect the actual number of pages indexed via sitemaps, it was still rather alarming for some people to see such a large drop in their sitemap index counts in Google Search Console.
Added: For those who wanted to hear it officially official from Google, here you go 🙂
@jenstar Yep, looks like it's fixed 🙂
— Gary Illyes (@methode) July 28, 2015
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Analyzing “How Google Search Works” Changes from Google - July 8, 2020
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019