Glenn Gabe shared this screenshot showing his sitemap count numbers jumping back up to about where they were prior to the bug, with several others reporting seeing the same increase in numbers now.
The bug was first noticed on July 13th, with Gary Illyes from Google confirming it a few days later that it was simply a reporting issue with a fix rolling out. While this bug didn’t affect the actual number of pages indexed via sitemaps, it was still rather alarming for some people to see such a large drop in their sitemap index counts in Google Search Console.
Added: For those who wanted to hear it officially official from Google, here you go 🙂
@jenstar Yep, looks like it's fixed 🙂
— Gary Illyes (@methode) July 28, 2015
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines: The Low Quality 2021 Update - October 19, 2021
- Rethinking Affiliate Sites With Google’s Product Review Update - April 23, 2021
- New Google Quality Rater Guidelines, Update Adds Emphasis on Needs Met - October 16, 2020
- Google Updates Experiment Statistics for Quality Raters - October 6, 2020
- Analyzing “How Google Search Works” Changes from Google - July 8, 2020