Gary Illyes from Google was asked about whether we we would be seeing a Penguin update this year or not, and he surprisingly did confirm that yes, we will see it in 2015.
— Gary Illyes (@methode) October 28, 2015
It has now been over a year since we saw the last Penguin update, with the last refresh happening in October 2014. So finally having a confirmation that it will be happening within the next two months or so is good. John Mueller had previously said it was likely it would be this year, but that he had no confirmation on that.
This upcoming Penguin will be the switch over to the real time Penguin, so webmasters will no longer have to wait a year or more to see a new update or refresh.
I suspect we will see it happen sooner within the two month time frame than later. Google traditionally tends to not make changes that will have a huge impact on the search results in the midst of holiday shopping. But with the real time Penguin, and the fact webmasters can recover much more quickly, might result in having it happen closer to Christmas than we usually see changes.
But this is great news for those stuck with Penguin…. it is on the way soon!
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Analyzing “How Google Search Works” Changes from Google - July 8, 2020
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019