At SMX earlier this month, Dave Besbris, Vice President of Engineering said that they would be bringing AMP results to other parts of the search results, and it appears they have already started this push. Google is now displaying AMP results beyond the usual carousel.
Over the past few weeks, many have become familiar with seeing AMP results in the “top stories” carousel, which appears below 2-3 individual news stories. But now, Google is displaying AMP results outside of the AMP carousel, as one of the regular news stories in the search results.
Here is an example of AMP showing up as a regular news story, when an AMP carousel isn’t being displayed.
These results also have the grey AMP logo next to them.
Here is another example of a solo AMP news result, without an AMP carousel.
This will put additional emphasis on publishers to enable AMP, now that AMP results are being shown outside of the carousel. While it still seems that a news related algorithm comes into play – we see non-AMP results appearing above the AMP result – there is the possibility that an AMP result was chosen for the third news position if there were multiple sources for that story.
It also shows that Google is eager to expand AMP beyond those news carousels, and are doing it quite quickly. Besbris also hinted that we could see AMP coming to mobile AdWords ads as well, which will make things pretty interesting for pay per click advertisers.
Update: It has apparently been there since launch, it just is not very common to see Google using it outside of the carousel proper.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Using Subdomains for Low Quality Google Panda Pages - June 27, 2017
- Google Considers Branded Anchor Text Unnatural in Widget Links - June 27, 2017
- Google Converting Non-Mobile Friendly Pages to Mobile Friendly for Searchers - June 27, 2017
- Google to Stop Scanning Gmail Messages to Target Personalized AdWords Ads - June 26, 2017
- Using CAPS or Lower Case Letters in URLs for Google SEO Purposes - June 23, 2017