Have you received one of the new “Googlebot cannot access CSS & JS files” warnings but don’t know how to find out what has been blocked? Some will be for third party resources which Google has previously said webmasters do not need to worry about. While there are likely some false-positives, some of those are actually issues where resources are being blocked, but the webmaster just isn’t aware of it.
The message Google sent says you can check each page using Fetch as Google to see what resources are being blocked:
But here is an easier way to check for all the blocked resources Google has found, as of their last crawl of your pages, as well as seeing historically the issues you have had, so you can identify whether it is a long-standing or new issue.
Google has a section within Google Search Console called “Blocked Resources”.
When you go into this section, under “Google Index” it will which all the pages on the site that have blocked resources. Click on any of the URL, and it will give you detailed about what was blocked on each page.
In this example, we clicked on the homepage URL:
Even though you have only clicked a single URL, it will also show how many other pages each of these blocked resources are blocked on other pages as well.
Many WordPress pages are showing these errors, and some setups/plugins are blocking resources without webmasters being aware of it. So even if you think it is a false positive, double check in the “Blocked Resources” section.
You can also get more information about these warnings in our article New “Googlebot cannot access CSS and JS files” in Google Search Console.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Sending Manual Actions for Event Markup Spam in Search Results - November 28, 2017
- Google: Why Featured Snippets Rankings are Volatile - November 14, 2017
- Google Home Services Ads Now Local Services Ads; Expanded Categories - November 13, 2017
- Google Adding More Structured Data Search Features to Search Results - November 10, 2017
- Adding Structured Data Helps Google Understand & Rank Webpages Better - November 10, 2017