Monday at HeroConf held in Portland, Time Ash, CEO of SiteTuners was the afternoon keynote speakers on The Context and the Power of Framing: Biasing Your Offer with Irrational Neuromarketing.
“Online marketers are focused on the technology and operational aspects of their daily activities. The goal of my keynote is to focus on emerging research about the true nature of the brain and how we make decisions. I want to arm online marketers with practical strategies for persuading the illogical and subconscious parts of the brain”, says keynote Tim Ash, CEO of SiteTuners, Chair of the Conversion Conference international event series, and author of the best-selling books on Landing Page Optimization.
Ash says it comes down to “brain basics” of fight, flight, feeding, and fornication. The brain goes through a survival process to determine if some this dangerous, novel, or to consciously explore it.
Understanding that and that 95% of our actions are subconscious, can be applied to principles of landing page design.
Limit choices on landing pages
- People can keep only 4 items in a non-rehearsed short terms memory.
- Never overwhelm with too many choices on a landing page unless you present physical items that are substantially different in a scrolling format.
- When possible, help guide customer with wizards asking qualifying questions, not filtering.
- When creating information architecture, deeper and narrow, with bite size chunks will lead closer to the goal.
Visually bias on landing pages
- Make choice very obvious with color or graphics to highlight them, as well as
- Screen position
- Amount of space
- Background color
- Anchoring images for extra emphasis
- Motion can be distracting so use sparingly
Pricing and product choices
Manipulate context and order to draw the eye on landing pages. Reading left to right, put the higher priced item first then lower price to the right.
Understand that prices are pain. People don’t want to part with their money, so phrasing price information on landing pages so rates appear to be less painful will help convert the user. For example “only pennies per day” seems like much less than “don’t overpay by $100 per day”.
SiteTuners’ CEO and co-founder Tim Ash literally wrote the bestselling Landing Page Optimization book is frequently invited to share his expertise and knowledge at industry conferences worldwide.
Latest posts by Lisa Raehsler (see all)
- Halloween Online Marketing Stats & Shopping Trends - September 10, 2015
- AdWords Newest Ad Extension Announced: Structured Snippets - September 1, 2015
- New Automated Extensions for Google’s Product Listing Ads - August 21, 2015
- Google AdWords Upgrades Dynamic Search Ads - July 30, 2015
- Google AdWords Launches New Display Tab With Summary Feature - July 15, 2015