Many SEOs have been wondering when Penguin would be updating, especially since there hasn’t been a Penguin update since October 2014, and it was believed that Penguin would go live before the end of the year. But as it started getting closer to the holidays, some were wondering whether it would happen in the midst of the holiday rush, or if Google would wait until the new year after the holidays.
A Google spokesperson sent us the following statement:
“With the holiday’s upon us, it looks like the penguins won’t march until next year.”
Many Googlers take vacation this time of year, including Gary Illyes who is often relaying Penguin info, but Illyes had also said they wouldn’t release an unfinished algo. If there is some good news about the delay, it also means SEOs won’t need to be doing Penguin analysis for clients during the holiday season too. And those still working on cleaning links up, you have a bit more time to get those disavows done.
So we can start the Great Penguin Watch once again in the New Year.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Mobile First Index: Page Speed Included as a Ranking Factor - March 23, 2017
- Mobile First Index: Google Aiming for Quality Neutral Launch - March 23, 2017
- Google Sending “Safe Browsing Policy Updates” to Previously Hacked Sites - March 20, 2017
- Google Adds AMP Carousels to “People Also Search For” Drop Downs - March 20, 2017
- 404s Do Not Affect Site Quality for Google SEO - March 17, 2017