Aaron Wall spotted this test on Sunday where all the title links for both ads and organic search results were all in Yahoo purple. We have seen some ads with a purple title, but never with all the titles on the entire Yahoo search results before.
— aaron wall (@aaronwall) July 26, 2015
One downside to this is that purple is often the color used by browsers to show when a link has been previously visited before. With this being such a web standard, the purple here could definitely confuse some web searchers who are used to seeing purple denoting a page they’ve been to.
It does make the search results pop a bit more, though, which is likely why we have seen Yahoo using it for their ads before. So more noticeable, but again, only for those who aren’t confused by the color being similar to the previously visited link color.
It does seem to be a limited test at this time, however if they perform well, we could see Yahoo change to this color scheme for more users or permanently.
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Analyzing “How Google Search Works” Changes from Google - July 8, 2020
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines Update: New Introduction, Rater Bias & Political Affiliations - December 6, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019