Twitter has been dropping lots of hints about a planned ecommerce addition to tweets in the past couple of months. And those plans have finally been realized with the launch of “Buy Now” buttons in tweets.
The new program is open to select Twitter accounts at this time, including Burberry, Rihanna and RED, however only a limited number of Twitter users will actually be able to see them. Twitter plans to ramp up the “Buy Now” program as the holiday shopping season draws closer.
There is also the other possible use of the “Buy Now” in tweets – while it currently appears that they will only appear for those who follow the accounts, it could eventually be opened up as paid or sponsored tweets, which would allow companies and brands to get their products in front of users who don’t follow them but could potentially be interested in purchasing.
Here is an example from Twitter of the new “Buy Now” (or simply “Buy” on mobile).
However, for those who cannot see it, it looks like a regular tweet with a link instead.
— (RED) (@RED) September 8, 2014
In addition to working with Stripe, which was already rumored, they are also partnering with Fancy, Gumroad and MusicToday.
Twitter also has a full list of those brands and people who are participating at this time on their blog post.
— Twitter (@twitter) September 8, 2014
Latest posts by Jennifer Slegg (see all)
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines: Reputation for News Sites; Video Content Updates; Quality for Information Sites - September 13, 2019
- Google Makes Major Changes to NoFollow, Adds Sponsored & UGC Tags - September 10, 2019
- Google Updates Quality Rater Guidelines Targeting E-A-T, Page Quality & Interstitials - May 17, 2019
- Google Local Service Ads Display Pricing Estimates for Specific Locations - August 31, 2018
- Google Testing “Relevant History” Section in Mobile Search Results - August 31, 2018